Sunday, November 2, 2014

That One Time I Took A Plane To St. Louis ! :)

Sister Morgan and Sis. Petrie
Oct. 14, 2014

I feel like I need a big drum roll to start out this email! I'm in the mission field, and there is so much to tell. I can't believe I'm the same person and that's it's only been a week since I got here! Where to even start??

Maybe from the beginning! :) So after I called y'all from the airport, we took the 3 hour flight to St Louis! No complications there :) When we got there, President Morgan, Sister Morgan, the AP's and office elders were all there to pick us up from the airport! We drove to the mission office, then to the St. Louis temple to take pictures! We all (16 new missionaries) stayed at the mission home that night after an awesome dinner and interviews with the mission president. That night, the AP's stayed up with President Morgan to decide who would train us! Holy cow. I can only imagine the stress...

Next morning were transfer meetings! Oh my goodness I still get chills thinking about it. It was such a crazy experience! They brought all the trainers in as well as everyone being trained...so we kind of got to scope it out so to speak haha!

Then all the missionaries being transferred (about half the mission!) met in the chapel of the Stake center. They made us new missionaries sit up in the choir seats so everyone could stare at us ;) Then one by one (ok I seriously get chills just typing this) we came up to the pulpit, said our name and where we were from, and read the name of our trainer and the area we would be serving. I have never been more nervous in my entire life. :) <-- this is not an understatement. :)

So I read...I'd be serving in Danville, IL with Sister Biddle! :) Then I came down, gave Sister Biddle a hug, and she was my new companion! :) :) Attached is a pic of us!

Sis. Petrie and Sis. Biddle

So Sister Biddle...is AWESOME. I seriously love her to death! No exaggeration. She is literally the sweetest. She is 23, and she's from Snohomish, Washington! She has been out about 7 months, and I am the first person she's trained! She said she was super nervous, but if I do say so myself, she's done a fantastic job so far!! :) She is cute and spacey, so between the two of us hopefully we'll manage to remember a few appointments and get some things done haha... My favorite thing about her is how hard she works at living the gospel and being a missionary! She'll teach me so many awesome things!! If you have any questions about her...please ask! She's really a gem, I couldn't have asked for a better trainer :)

So here we are...in Danville IL! It is a crazy happenin' place! :) Actually though it's super small and there are a lot of less-fortunate circumstances that people live in here. It kind of hits me hard how blessed I am to have the gospel, a family, and a safe house to live in! We cover north Danville. Two other sets of elders are in the Danville ward and together we make up a district. We cover part of Indiana! I am as far east as this mission goes :) So it is a 4-hour drive from the mission home/St Louis to my area! Crazy, right? Who knew I'd end up here! I love it though. There is a LOT of work to be done!

So all week we were working hard! I taught my first 2 lessons on Saturday! It was awesome!! We have two investigators with baptismal dates, M.and E. E. is a teenage kid and super mature! Haven't met M. yet, but hopefully we can help her towards baptism soon! Fun fact, tracking is actually successful here, so we do a lot of it!! Door-to-door strategy, boo-yah! :) Missionary work is SO much fun. I am SO happy to be here and to be working in Danville!

Then on Monday, we had mission conference! That's why I didn't email yesterday :) Normally Monday is still P-day! It started at 10 AM, so we were up at 5:00 AM and on the road for that awesome 4 hour drive! :) We carpooled with sisters in Rantoul, IL. They are awesome! Mission conference was INCREDIBLE. The entire mission was all together (which happens like never) and we heard from Elder Sitati from the 70! Then we watched "Meet the Mormons", which I LOVED and I recommend to all! There is a picture of Sister Morgan and I! I LOVE her. She is just so full of love for all the missionaries!! Bless her soul! Also I got to see all my MTC buds and find out how there areas were going! oh i just LOVE being a missionary!

I wish I could just send all the awesome that has happened over email!! I am just learning so much, number one being my purpose here! I am here because the Lord called me here, and he has a purpose for me! My job is to work my tail off to be worthy of the Spirit, so I can know what He would have me do. Just so excited for this coming week! Sister Biddle is awesome, and I know we can do great things together!

Any questions about my area or anything?? Love to answer questions!

I love you all SO SO much! This church is nothing but truth. I know it for sure! I love my companion, my area, this ward, my district, my mission president and his wife, all the missionaries, and everything here! AH. Can't wait to tell you more next Monday!

Stay awesome. Keep sharing the gospel!

Sister Petrie

Traveling to St.Louis



No comments:

Post a Comment