Monday, November 3, 2014

#Miracles :)

October 20, 2014

Hey I love you all! Lots and lots and lots!

Sister Biddle is fun and quirky in so many awesome ways, one of which is her love of hashtags! Hence the subject line :) #loveher #whatevenisahashtag? #hashtagtraining #missionlife

But really, this week was incredible! Sister Biddle says miracles happen when you are training, but I hope these miracles never stop!!

Miracle #1: Our Bishop! I seriously can't get over how awesome he is. He joined the church about 15 years (?) ago. He says himself that he is a witness and evidence of how much the gospel changes people. He is 100 percent supporting us as missionaries! He goes to lessons with us even! I am just so grateful for his incredible support of missionary work. His is really the connecting link between us missionaries and the ward members in this area.

Miracle #2: #themiracleofmildred! Wednesday was a hard day! Two people dropped us, one was an investigator (Elijah) and the other was a potential. We felt like everything fell through and we weren't finding those that the Lord would have us teach. On Thursday, we prayed as a companionship for the spirit to guide us to someone we could teach that day. After district meeting and studies, we decided to go out and find some potentials, and ended up street contacting a bit! We found 3 people who were interested! #thatneverhappens... :) Then we tracted a different apartment complex! We had a goal of one new investigator that day, and one other lesson to teach with one baptismal invite. I prayed SO hard that we would be able to get into an apartment and teach a lesson. I promised to work hard and love everyone we met! About 5 doors in, we met Mildred! When we knocked on the door, she called, "who is it?" and we called back, "Jesus people!" (people actually call us Jesus-people here, it is hilarious, but actually true) She opened the door and TOLD US TO COME IN!!! Holy cow, we were freaking out! She then proceeded to tell us that she had been praying earlier that week that she would find some friends that she could talk about God with. UM. Could an answer to prayer be any clearer? We taught her the restoration and invited her to baptism! She's thinking about it, and now we are officially teaching her! WOW. Side note, we also are teaching one of the three people that said they were interested! So I just basically sat there and marveled at how Heavenly Father works! If we have faith and act, he'll answer our prayers. I know it for sure! Miracles still happen.

Miracle #3: Fighting doubt! I got an incredible answer to prayer during personal studies this week. Sister Biddle and I both are trying to get better at not doubting ourselves or this work. Our motto: #banishthedoubt! Elder Sitati said this in mission conference last week and it has changed my life! In my study, I was reading in Alma 49. I was comparing the Lamanites trying to penetrate the Nephites' city to Satan trying to penetrate my mind with doubt. What stopped the Lamanites was the great height of the bank of earth, and the great depth of the ditch surrounding the city. Likewise, what stops the doubt from coming into my mind is the great height of my FAITH, and the great depth of my HUMILITY. Satan tries to pull down our faith and lift us up in pride, and this is when we doubt ourselves! I was able to come up with some specific goals to increase my faith and humility through more obedience and gratitude. The miracle is, I've ALREADY noticed a difference! I know I received an answer to prayer through that scripture study. Scriptures are the language of the spirit, and we learn what Heavenly Father wants through them.
Sisters on exchange

We had exchanges this week! It was AWESOME! See the picture attached :) I went with Sister Fernandez (Sister Training Leader) to Springfield, IL! We got to teach 4 lessons together, and I learned SO much from her about teaching, and about dedicating our lives to the Lord. WOW. She is a gem, and I love her! She is on the far right in the picture :) Sister Biddle stayed in Danville with Sister Martinez, the other Sister Training Leader. We went overnight, Friday-Saturday. I learned SO much! I also missed Sister Biddle a lot, and was reminded of how much I love that girl, and how happy I am that she is my trainer! Pray for her! I learn from her every day.

I love this work! I have never learned so much so quickly in my whole life. I love loving everyone we meet. It's incredible!

Thank you SO much for all your support! Love you all to death!

Sister Petrie

No comments:

Post a Comment