Monday, October 20, 2014

MTC Part Two!

Sis. Petrie and Sis. Dahlberg
Oct. 6, 2014

Well, I can hardly believe it, but tomorrow I fly out to St. Louis! It has flown by. I wish I could express in words how much the MTC has changed me, and how much I love it here.
In the MTC, we spend half the time learning how to teach the gospel, and the other half actually teaching the gospel. Sister Dahlberg and I have taught 5 different investigators here, J., P., H., C., and O.. Granted, four of those are our teachers, but they take on the role of real people they know, and role playing is just as powerful as teaching real investigators!

Of course, the one non-member we taught, O., was very difficult to teach!! She goes to BYU, has tons of Mormon friends, has met with several sets of missionaries, and has been invited to be baptized, as she says, "at least a thousand times". :) So she was difficult to teach! The first lesson, we went in with our agenda of teaching the restoration, and we followed it 100 percent. (Note: Something I've learned here. If you actually exactly follow your teaching plan in lessons, you are probably doing something wrong.) She listened and honestly looked bored. We were disappointed to say the least! But in the second lesson, we did the exact same thing, this time about the Plan of Salvation.

The third time, we had learned a lot more about loving and teaching by the spirit. We went into the lesson just prepared to love her!! We asked a lot of questions and were completely sincere. She started to open up and was saying things like, "I don't normally say this, but..." and "This is a little embarrassing, but this is how I feel about..." She was completely open! We were able to listen to her, and Sister Dahlberg shared an experience that touched her a lot. There was a HUGE difference. What was the difference? The spirit was there! Of course being sisters we all cried a bit and hugged a lot and it was wonderful! She still didn't want to be baptized, but I think she was changed by what we said! Also she accepted the challenge to watch general conference, which as you know was full of talks basically hand-picked for investigators. (Revelation, prophets, etc) I hope she continues to feel that strong spirit we felt!

I learned such a powerful lesson from O., and it's probably the biggest thing I have learned at the MTC! We don't teach, the spirit does! And while we are teaching, the spirit teaches us and the investigator. We "ascend together", as that Scottish Proverb goes! Something even cooler: I think Sister Dahlberg was completely changed by that lesson! She wrote 5 pages about it in her journal, I wish I had time to type it up for you! She said she's never felt the spirit that strong in her life! It's just amazing to see what the gospel is doing for all of us!

That experience is great because it's kind of the climax of all the wonderful teaching experiences I've had at the MTC! I've been an investigator in so many role plays, and every time I receive and accept the challenge to be baptized out loud, in my heart I accept the challenge to take my own leap of faith by letting the SPIRIT lead my lessons, and not be so worried about what I say. It has been incredible.

WASN"T CONFERENCE INCREDIBLE. HOLY COW! I love love being part of this powerful missionary force. We feel so supported by the words of the prophets and the prayers of the church! And Elder Hunter was so awesome at the priesthood session! When he told me he was singing on Friday, he was white as a ghost and so so nervous haha! But I knew he would do incredible! My favorite talks were the ones on revelation! I loved them so so much! They are just what we are teaching investigators!

I seriously can't wait to fly out tomorrow! I will miss the MTC but ST Louis is callin'! :)

Part of my responsibilities as Sister Training Leader is holding an hour fireside where we welcome the incoming district! That was on Wednesday. I loved it, because I realized more fully MY purpose here because I saw their example! We just got to go over logistics with them, bear our testimonies, share scriptures, and make them feel at home! I love our new and old districts. I'll miss them lots to say the least!

Here is a couple pictures of my companion and district sisters. We have WAY too much fun!! :) I'm so glad they are here to keep me smiling and positive! They love to tease me about being home schooled, spacing out, never knowing directions, and taking long showers :) I'll miss them lots!

District Sisters 

Thanks everyone for being awesome. I have so many examples and so much support I could just explode!

3 cheers for the gospel!

Sister Petrie

No comments:

Post a Comment