Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Happy November...WHAT!?


November 3, 2014

I can't believe it's November. Somebody told me once that the first two transfers of your mission go super slow, and the rest flies by. But honestly, a month has never gone faster in my whole life! Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I LOVE MISSIONARY WORK! :) I feel like I have so much to learn and so little time!

Apologies for the short letter last week! We got a call from an investigator's neighbor, Gus, to go help him bale hay. Haha, welcome to Illinois, right? So all day Monday we stood in a hay cart behind a hay-baling-machine (not sure what that's called) and caught and stacked 40-pound bales of hay that came shooting out of this machine. It was SO FUN, I wish I could show you guys a video! It was a definite WORKOUT and we came away with super sore forearms, pulling hay out of our socks, hair, ears, nose, eyes, and pretty much every other imaginable place haha. Nothing like hard work to get you in a good mood! An excellent picture of us below! :)

Baling hay
It was another week of many fall-through appointments, unfortunately. We having a bit of a hard time starting the fire so to speak in our investigators. They don't seem to feel the desire to change. Any suggestions?
But a definite light in the darkness is M! She is doing fantastic! We are meeting with her several times a week now to prepare for her baptism on November 15. Every lesson seems to go super well, and she feels the spirit often! When we taught her about the Word of Wisdom she said, "Well I drink tea...but quitting that shouldn't be a problem." SO willing! She feels the spirit of this for sure. She is also hilarious! When we brought up what she needed to do prepare for her upcoming baptism, she interrupted us with, "I have GOT to do my hair. No way am I getting it wet like it is!" :)

Her two sons, J. (9) and J. (7), love the gospel as well! They love participation in lessons! They've struggled a lot with my name though haha...somehow 'Petrie' is a really hard name to remember if you never grown bacteria in a dish or seen "Land Before Time". :) In a prayer J. - (7) said the other day he fumbled a bit and said he was grateful for "Sister Biddle and Mr. Peaches." I had a hard time not laughing the rest of that prayer!

The highlight of this week though was definitely the baptism our district had on Saturday! The elders in Indiana, Elder Moore and Elder Lythall, baptized a little family! They have two little sons and are literally the cutest most wonderful family ever. We got Megan to go to the baptism, and it was well worth it! The spirit was so strong. I'll never forget the feeling of watching the father walk into the chapel after being baptized, in a brand-new suit and his little baby on his shoulder. I cried because the spirit testified so strongly that they were on their way to becoming a forever family! I KNOW this gospel is true, and I have a strong testimony of God's love being manifest through the restoration of the gospel. As J. (the father) said, he knew "the word" was true because of the good he felt inside. That spirit is so so sweet, and it is a gift from God, a promise, a foretaste of the joy of eternal life. As we grow through hardships, we learn to experience it more deeply, until it is perfect love that casts out all fear and darkness! Look up "Earnest" in the Bible Dictionary. WAY cool!

Halloween here was pretty great!! How was it for you all? We had to be in by 5 PM so we played the piano, made brownies and cookies, and caught up in our journals :)


Keep being so awesome! I am praying for you all. Thanks everyone for being so wonderful and supportive. The world is just full of gems!!

Sister Brielle Petrie

brielle.petrie@myldsmail.net



PS. Oh my goodness I forgot! For the baptism they called me a couple days before and asked me to do a piano solo! Sweeet :) i don't have any music so I kind of just made it up...an arrangement of "I Am a Child of God." SO GRATEFUL for awesome moms who taught me piano haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment