Monday, September 7, 2015

Giant Spider!

 September 7, 2015

It's a little crazy to think the transfer has ended! Transfer calls came in on Saturday, and both Sister Hayden and I are staying in the area!! We are pretty happy about that. It was pretty neat to be able to give transfer calls to our sisters as well. Some transfer calls are hard, some are exciting, but you just feel that each companionship in each area is inspired by Heavenly Father, and it's neat to be able to testify of that to the sisters. 

The classic name tag/St Louis Arch shot! :)
We are setting some awesome goals for next transfer! It will be Sister Hayden's last transfer, so we are expecting Heavenly Father to really bless and guide her in this area :) Can we just talk about how awesome goals are? I LOVE setting goals!! They stretch me and change me and help me rely on Christ and his Atonement.

It's been a great week. We've had some incredible miracles! Let's see if I can fit it all in this email.

We've been praying to be led to those who are prepared for the gospel (always) and on Tuesday, we got to start teaching a family, the H's! They had requested a Bible online, but when we went to deliver it, the let us right in and were happy to talk and talk about what we believed. We shared a Book of Mormon, and we're going back to see them tomorrow! I'm so excited about them.

Later that day we went to teach the L. family. We love them!! J. has been a member all her life, B. (the husband) got baptized right before I got here, and now we are teaching the 11 year old son, G.! He's getting baptized this Saturday :) We were able to have a really spirit-filled lesson. G. is so adorable, he calls us "my missionaries". He is so humble. I have loved teaching all of these younger kids! Anyway, short story. That night we had been joking around with B., he's a huge 6 foot tall biker and we found out he is terrified of spiders! So the whole night we were teasing him about his fear of spiders. Then, right after we say the closing prayer, this HUGE spider drops from the ceiling and hits the floor (you could hear the thud, it was seriously huge). Needless to say, all chaos breaks out. The kids are screaming, B. jumps up yelling and RUNS out of the room, J. is screaming, "Get me a boot! I need a boot!" The spider runs underneath the couch we're sitting on, so we're scrambling out of the way, tripping over each other. B. gets the courage to come and lift up the couch, the spider runs out, then J. and I team-killed it, she threw the boot and stunned it, and I smashed it with my shoe! (I've included a picture :))


Giant Spider

Hahaha anyway, so then we were all relieved and laughing hysterically and joking around, it was just one of those bonding experiences I'll always remember! Surviving giant spiders seriously brings people together. I LOVE the Little family, they are so special and the spirit in their home is incredible. We are all excited for G.'s baptism this weekend.

Another miracle is J. Oohhhhh man I am just so so so excited about her! I get chills thinking about her story. So originally, J. was a Bible referral for the sisters in this area. They dropped off a Bible and a Book of Mormon and she was DEFINITELY not interested, very closed off and unreceptive. While they were talking though, her Hispanic husband G. came out and started talking to the sisters, asking them if they could help him learn how to forgive. So they referred him to the Spanish Elders in the area, and they started teaching him. To make a long story short, this weekend we attended and did a musical number at G.'s baptism!! They day before, we went over to meet J. and answer any questions she had. Her attitude had COMPLETELY changed, she was humble and open. As we taught her about the Restoration and about the healing that comes from Jesus Christ's Atonement, the spirit was amazing. She cried as she told us about how the gospel in G.'s life had basically saved their marriage. Apparently it was really very rocky, and ever since the missionaries came he has been sending her cute little texts from work, buying her flowers, and just little acts of kindness. SO ADORABLE! Anyway she was there at his baptism, and while he was in the font, I watched her get the biggest smile on her face. It may take some time, but I definitely see her following his example in the near future! The gospel truly blesses families and brings them together. I love it!

One more awesome miracle was N. she is a young woman from Kenya who just walked into our sacrament meeting yesterday! She felt the spirit during fast and testimony meeting, and wants to learn more about the gospel. We'll go see her later this week. 

Hanging out by the arch! LOVE these sisters!
Anyway, sorry about the marathon email. I do love this area, I love these people, I love my sisters! I'm so grateful that God has blessed me with this opportunity. The gospel is absolutely true, and it is powerful and will change us!

Love you all!

Sister Petrie

Shoutout to my wonderful, amazing trainer who goes home TODAY :) Love you Sister Biddle!



Paint Louis! It's a 3 mile long wall of graffiti downtown

No comments:

Post a Comment