Tuesday, May 12, 2015

We are that we might have joy!!



Sister Petrie and Sister Schow
May 11, 2015

Dear people I love,

It was so so SO good to talk to you all yesterday. You helped me renew my excitement for the work, and helped me remember to smile and be happy!

This week has been crazy, but I have learned a lot. I love love Sister Schow SO much. It was definitely inspired for us to be companions. I've already have seen her insights and way of working bless my life. She is a terrific missionary.

This week I've felt so strongly that I need to learn to be happy. I've received that message from so many different sources this week, I know that Heavenly Father is trying to teach me something. I've realized that on my mission I've been spending most of my time stressed, running to appointments, worrying before lessons, doubting myself during lessons, being sad when things don't go as planned, and wishing things or myself was better/different, with a few moments each day feeling the joy of the gospel. But the Lord says, "Men are that they might have joy." -2 Nephi 2: 25. If we can't learn to be happy on this earth, despite trials, how can we expect to know how to feel perfect joy in heaven? I read through the blessings I was promised when I was set apart to be a missionary, and one of them was that despite some dark days, my mission would be one of JOY and laughter! It's normal to be sad, stressed, and disappointed sometimes. But to spend the majority of our time in that category is not part of Heavenly Father's plan for us!

Life is a pattern of ups and downs, but the very purpose and promise of the gospel is to find profound peace, no matter what happens. Only in this way can we truly love our lives, our missions, and ourselves. The Savior is the one who can take these burdens and help us feel the love and joy that he has. He is the light and life of the world. He loves us so much!

On Saturday, our investigator A. H. texted us and told us she didn't think the church was right for her family. She asked us not to come over anymore. That was one of the hardest things to happen on my mission so far! A. was going to be baptized in June, and she had felt the power of the spirit change her life. She KNEW this gospel was good! I love her so so SO much. But as I poured my heart out to Heavenly Father, asking for her to find the gospel again in the future, I felt that promised peace. Only the Savior could have brought that to my heart! I'm amazed at how I was able to move on and still feel that peace. I know God will work on her and her family although we as missionaries can't right now. They are in His hands.

I do love my mission, and I am ready to find more joy in this work. Thank you all for being such incredible examples to me! Remember to be happy and to find joy, despite hard things. God never did expect us to be perfect on this earth. He expects us to turn to Him.

Love you all SOOOO much. Thanks for the wonderful cheering team you all are!

Sister Petrie
 
Reunited with Sister Biddle! And we matched!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment