Friday, January 2, 2015

J's Baptism!!

J's Baptism!!
December 15, 2014

People I love!!

Merry Christmas!! I am so excited for this awesome holiday!! I love how everyone is so much more open to feeling the spirit this time of year! I was thinking this week about what you all must be doing...about all the decorations there are to put up, and people to see, and recitals to have (oooh yess I remember these) cookies to make, people to serve, parties to throw, presents to buy, Jesus-tree notes to write, finals to take, snow to shovel, and every other wonderful thing you guys are doing.

This is the first Christmas I've had that hasn't come with stress..and it has been RICH. I wish everyone could experience missionary life! There is just so little worrying and so much loving! A sweet less-active lady we visited yesterday told us, "It's only takes me a moment to feel the spirit of Christmas." I love her advice. One moment, one thought about the love of Christmas, and about the birth of Christ, or about the blessings of this gospel, is all we need to take to feel the wonderful spirit of Christmas! Remember to take that moment. It's like that little bit of brown sugar in the bowl of oatmeal, that makes the whole thing sweet! Holy cow I just did an oatmeal analogy...not sure what the mission is doing to me! :)

Missionary work is all about moments! We had a hard week with many fall-through appointments, but here's a moment that sweetened the whole week!

A couple weeks ago, our investigator M. was baptized. Yesterday, her son J. was baptized as well! The best part of the baptism was after J. was confirmed, and when he got up to bear his testimony. He started out a little nervous and giggling, (he's only 9!) trying to ignore his little friends giggling in the audience. But then the spirit took over...and he bore one of the most powerful testimonies I've ever heard! He said he knew he felt the holy spirit when he was baptized. He said he KNEW he would serve a mission and his younger brother would serve a mission, and that he couldn't wait to share this gospel with the people he'd serve. M. was in the audience with tears streaming down her face, and toward the end J. began to cry as well. He closed his testimony and went and sat next to her and they just hugged. I just felt how true this gospel is, and how much it brings families together. Wow. I just feel so so so so SO lucky to have taught this wonderful family! Now J. and M. can keep each other strong!

We had an EXCELLENT ward Christmas party on Saturday! Lots of fun pictures :) It was North Pole Express themed, and it was SO cute and clever! They made me play a piano solo at the end..yikes that was scary! I seriously LOVE this ward. I couldn't have asked for a better place to start my mission!

A lot of people are struggling. If you could pray for M., and for B., and J., and M., and R. and J., that would be awesome! All these people are so wonderful!

Have a super duper week.

Sister Petrie

L.! She's so awesome!



No comments:

Post a Comment